Author Topic: TCP/IP Stack porting  (Read 5579 times)

dexxster

• View Profile
TCP/IP Stack porting
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:09:57 PM »
Hi,

I recently bought an SBC65EC and it is a very fine product. I only wonder why it was/is necessary to use a customised version of the Microchip TCP/IP stack instead of just use the one from Microchip (with the minimum modifications just to suit the Modtronix hardware, of course). The Microchip stack is now at version 5.0 while most of the code from Modtronix is 3 years old (as seen from the file history) and many improvements/features are missing. I understand that the task of keeping the Modtronix code aligned to that of Microchip is time-consuming for Modtronix, so why this fork ? Apart that, congratulations for the very high quality products !

Dexxster

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: TCP/IP Stack porting
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:30:06 PM »
Sorry for late reply! I missed your question in this forum, normally all TCP/IP questions related to the Modtronix version of the stack get posted in the Ethernet Boards forum.

The problem with the Microchip stack is that all modifications and customizations for the hardware used have to be done in the actual TCP/IP stack files. What the Modtronix version does is enable all these changes to be defined in the projdefs.h file, which is located in the user code, and not in the TCP/IP stack. This way, when a new TCP/IP stack version becomes available, only the contents of the "net" file has to be replaced with the new TCP/IP stack version. Seeing that the customer does not have to do any changes in the TCP/IP file located in the net folder.

Since a couple of versions ago, the Microchip TCP/IP stack does not support the Realtek RTL8019AS network chip any more, but only the Microchip network chip. They also started using many of the hardware features of their network chip. Porting the current stack to the RTL8019AS chip will require lots of work. Future releases of the Modtronix TCP/IP stack will not be adding many new features, but mostly bug fixes and other improvements. Our new SBC83I board uses the in28J60 iMod board with new Microchip ENC28J60 Ethernet chip. If you want to use the new Microchip stack, you should use this board. For details, see http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?cPath=152_154&products_id=406 and http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?board=15.0. Will be releasing new software using this board, and ENC28J60 chip. Also have a new board on the way with PIC24F chip and ENC controller.

dexxster

• View Profile
Re: TCP/IP Stack porting
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »
After many hours of working around my SBC65 I now understand that the porting work from modtronix was very well done and, best of all, all the code is very well commented. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the system and I am now very happy with it.

Again, congratulations !

Regards,
Dexxster

epizido09

TCP/IP Stack porting
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:22:26 PM »
I followed the advice of TheHound on manually configuring the TCP/IP settings  listed in this post  on my computer. I state that no harm was done to my computer. Though I always respected TheHounds opinion. I have used his suggestions on other issues as well on Computer and Network related matters.

Bipsype09

• View Profile
    • single russian brides
TCP/IP Stack porting
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 04:28:19 AM »
Go to your Control Panel, go to Network Connections, right click your network adapter, select Properties, make sure the TCP/IP box is checked. Also, the 1394 connection is usually a Firewire connection and not a LAN connection. Is your computer using a wireless adapter or ethernet?

Aletstero

• View Profile
TCP/IP Stack porting
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
il try 2morrow, but what do u mean "Ping"?

ironman28,
   the "Internet Protocol TCP/IP" box is checked, and im using an ethernet cable which cant be the problem because my LAN network is fine

BTW, thnx for the suggestions/help guys, i really appreciate it