Author Topic: Overview of new Presto Range  (Read 15224 times)

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Overview of new Presto Range
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:49:37 PM »
This topic gives some information about our new Presto Electronic Modules we will soon be releasing. The initial boards in this range to be released will be the SBC Single Board Computers, and iMod Press-Fit Interface Modules.

We have been very busy with our new Presto range of products:
  • - Presto SBC boards, Single board computers that have ports for Press-Fit Presto modules, like the iMod modules
  • - Presto iMod Modules, Interface modules with pressfit connectors
  • - Presto pMod Modules, Power modules with pressfit connectors
  • - Presto sMod Modules, Serial modules with pressfit connectors

Click on links below for schematics and PCB layout of new products.

=== SBC80I ===
Our new SBC board, the SBC80I, is similar to our current SBC44B board, but with an 80 pin chip and 3 iMod ports. This new board will have no interface, just iMod ports. This way the CPU board is much cheaper, seeing that it does not need to have any interfaces that do not get used. The SBC80I will be released in two versions, one with a 5V PIC18F8722 chip, and the other with a 3.3V PIC18F chip. It has the following specs:
- High efficiency DC/DC power regulator, with separate Analog power for ADC modules.
- 80 pin chip
- Three press fit iMod interfaces for new range of Modtronix iMod Pressfit Interface modules.
- RTC chip with Supercapacitor and crystal
- FRAM or serial SRAM chip
- 16MBit serial FLASH chip (can use Atmel DataFlash, SST serial Flash or Winbond serial Flash chips)
- Modified Daughter board connector, not compatible with SBC44B version
- Two 14 pin IDC connectors for expanding board with other I/O boards.

=== iMod pressfit Interface Modules ===
Our new range of iMod Pressfit Interface Moduels are small interface boards with press-fit connectors. They simply press into the main SBC board. The main board does not need any female connectors, only pads, seeing that the modules have pressfit connectors. The first iMod Modules will be:
  • im28J60 - 3.3V Ethernet module with ENC28J60 chip. Unused Ethernet cable pair are also made available via the press fit header, and can be used for PoE applications.
  • im28J60-5 - 5V Ethernet module with ENC28J60 chip. Has a small 3V regulator to power ENC28J60 chip from 5V supply. Allso has 3 5V to 3.3V level translators to translate between 3.3V and 5V signals. Can be used with 5V PIC chips. Unused Ethernet cable pair are also made available via the press fit header, and can be used for PoE applications.
  • im1W - 1 Wire module, with I2C 1 Wire master module. Works with 3.3V and 5V
  • im232p - RS232 module with 3.5mm terminal block connector. Works with 3.3V and 5V
  • im232m - RS232 module with RJ45 connector. Works with 3.3V and 5V
  • im485p - RS485 module with 3.5mm terminal block connector. Two versions will be released, one for 3.3V and one for 5V
  • imCANp - CAN Bus module with 3.5mm terminal block connector. Has CAN bus driver chip. Two versions will be released, one for 3.3V and one for 5V

Future iMod modules I can think of will be:
- Zigbee
- 1 wire CAN

An iMod module can also be double size, in which case it uses two iMod ports. These iMods will be:
- 4 Relay double iMod
- 8 MOSFET outputs
- Mixed I/O/Relay iMod

Also want to bring out a new LCD display for the SBC80I that uses the 122x32 pixel graphic display.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 10:58:22 PM by modtro2 »

OmarZ

• View Profile
Re: New SBC80I CPU board, and iMod Pressfit Interface Modules
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 12:31:59 PM »
Impressive stuff!
I think you are in the right way: a full configurable system where you can fit the interface you like. In my opinion are really good solutions.

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 02:42:35 PM »
Forgot the mention the im28J60 and im28J60-5 Ethernet modules also make the unused Ethernet cable pair available via the press fit header. This can be used for PoE applications. For a custom PoE application, im28J60 can be used together with the SBC80I board. All that needs to be done is two solder jumpers on the im28J60 have to be made. This will then route the unused Ethernet pairs to the input of the DC/DC power supply of the SBC80I, which can take an input voltage of 7V to 40V. We will also be adding an iMod module with ENC28J60 Ethernet chip and PoE circuitry - but only later.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:11:28 AM »
This iMod solution will be for sure a great advantage for all the possible solutions: easy customizable boards for all! For instance also one with SD/MMC interface....

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 02:07:44 PM »
Hello Omar

Thanks for post! Yes, I forgot about that. That is also one of the things I want to soon add to the range of iMod modules. Seeing that the iMod modules have UART, SPI, I2C and I/O pins, creating an iMod with a SD card will be no problem. I was actually thinking of using the micro or miniSD card. The list of future iMod modules and SBC boards now lives here:
http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=860.0

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 12:48:44 AM »
microSD will be really great and compact solution: i had one for my mobile phone and it's incredible small. Sandisk 1GB with also adapters for miniSD and standard SD for only 13! And oday i saw from Kingmax at 10 (not on internet but in local shops!).
Reagards

Aletstero

• View Profile
Overview of new Presto Range
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 12:47:02 AM »
I am proud to say that I have not and probably will not ever buy a computer case for more than 100.

Cool case though.