Author Topic: SBC83I Programming Issues  (Read 7237 times)

jamesh

• View Profile
SBC83I Programming Issues
« on: November 03, 2009, 07:38:07 AM »
Hi,

I downloaded the modified Microchip TCP/IP stack V4.55 for the SBC83I R2. I successfully compiled the source code using Microchip's C18 compiler v3.33. When I try to program the SBC board using PICkit3 it is fails as follows. I was bale to program other Modtronix examples (e.g. ledflash-int, etc.) but not the TCP/IP stack hex.

MPLAB Output:

PICkit 3 detected
Connecting to PICkit 3...
Running self test...
Self test passed
Firmware Suite Version...... 01.25.05
Firmware type......................PIC18FJ
PICkit 3 Connected.
Target Detected
Device ID Revision = 00000004

Erasing...
Erase device complete

Programming...
The following memory regions failed to program correctly:
Program Memory
Address: 00000085 Expected Value: 0000009c Received Value: 000000dc
Programming failed

I tried to program the board multiple times and the failing memory address is different on each attempt.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SBC83I Programming Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 12:20:29 PM »
Hello

Are you using the Modtronix PGM2KIT programming adapter between your PICKit 3 and SBC83I board? We had some trouble when using the new PICKit3 and ICD3 with the length of the ribbon cable we supply with the PGM2KIT adapter. We have made the cable much shorter (shorter cable is now supplied with all PGM2KIT adapters), and it now works. Can you please measure the length of the ribbon cable.

You can try to make it shorter yourself, it is very easy. The connectors on either end of the cable just clip apart. You only have to take off one connector. After doing this, cut cable shorter (about 15cm) with scissors or knife, and crimp connector back on again.

jamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 05:16:20 PM »
Hello,

Yes, I am using the PGM2KIT programming adapter between the PICKit3 and the SBC83I board. I followed your recommendation and shortened the cable to about 15cm. Unfortunately, this didn't fix the issue as you can see below.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your help.

Programming...
Program Memory
Address: 00000466 Expected Value: 00000002 Received Value: 00000004
Programming failed

Second attempt:
Programming...
Program Memory
Address: 00000331 Expected Value: 0000006a Received Value: 0000003a
Programming failed

jamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 10:52:00 AM »
Hello,

Any update on this? I can't use the SBC83I board without a resolution to this issue.

Thanks for your help
James

jamesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »
Hello,

Are there any other avenues to get support at Modtronix? I am afraid we didn't go too far with this forum.

Thanks

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 03:00:09 PM »
Hi James

I haven't used the PICKit3 yet, because of many early negative user comments and reviews. I think most of them are now fixed, I hope. What version PICKit3 do you have, and have you updated the firmware on it. Could you also send me a copy of the hex file you are programming, and I can see if I get similar error messages when I try and program a board with PICKit3. Send to info08 [at] modtronix.com  Is it possible slowing down the PICKit3 in the programmer configuration? Some programmers you can set for high and low speed programming.