Author Topic: header connector sold separately does not match those on prototype boards  (Read 3768 times)

secarica

• View Profile
I have a PT24E prototype board with enclosure. Recently I purchased this header connector from Modtronix with the idea to use it on my own designed board, in the same enclosure.

Problem: the new connector pair is higher than the one from PT24E and so the top case cannot fit the bottom case because the SBC module remains too high mounted.

On the PT24E board, the second plastic spacer is very close to the first one.
On the new connector, the second plastic spacer is almost 3mm away from the first one. I tried to lower the second plastic spacer, but the SBC board still remains on top of the pins, because the female connector has limited depth.

What header connector is the one used on PT24E board ? Where from can be purchased so no further invention should be required ?

Cristi

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: header connector sold separately does not match those on prototype boards
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »
Hello Christi

The connectors on the PT24E are not for sale on our web site. The spacing on the plastic on them had to be reduced, so it would fit in the enclosure. The spacing between the plastic, marked L1 in link you sent, is 7.5mm for the prototype boards. The L1 spacing of the connectors used on the PT24E boards is 6.0mm. Please forward me your postal address, and I can send you some for free. You can send me a personal message via this forum with your address if you do not want to place it on the forum.

secarica

• View Profile
Re: header connector sold separately does not match those on prototype boards
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 05:03:04 AM »
Well, thank you for the offer ! Most likely I will ask you for a pair or two next time I will purchase another things directly from you.

For the immediate need I solved this in a more brutal way – I desoldered the two connectors from the PT24E board and used them for my need, but I will probably want to restore the PT24E.

Anyway, in the future, for other boards & case, I will try to avoid the need for such custom hardware, by making the main board in this manner so I can use simple height connectors. I always need to remove the power connector, so I moved also the 3 pin serial connector to the main board to gain clearance between boards. Hopefully I will find the required suitable metal or plastic spacers length for this configuration.

Thank you,
Cristi
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 05:04:42 AM by secarica »