Author Topic: == Getting started with your Ethernet board ==  (Read 37134 times)

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
== Getting started with your Ethernet board ==
« on: September 28, 2005, 04:36:30 PM »
When initially connecting your Ethernet SBC board to your network, there are a couple of points that should be noted.

=== Ensure the SBC board is NOT on a conducting surface! ===
Ensure your SBC board is not lying on a conducting surface! This will damage the board! Place the board on some type of non conducting surface like cardboard for example.

=== Take proper ESD and anti-static precautions ===
When using your SBC board, take all proper ESD and anti-static precautions. If your work area is carpeted, be VERY careful! Static electricity can kill any electronic device. Never touch your SBC board without taking proper anti-static precautions.

=== Power on your SBC board, and connect to your network ===
All Modtronix Ethernet enabled SBC boards require a DC supply of between 7 - 30V. Best is to use a voltage as close as possible to 7V, 9V is perfect. Ensure that the supply is DC, and NOT AC!! All SBC boards are diode protected, so if the polarity of the power plug is wrong, nothing will happen. The power plug has to be a 2.1mm type, with centre positive. After plugging it in, you should see some lights go on on the board. The Link light (green LED) on the network connector will typically light up for 3 seconds, after which is will go off. It will then search for a network, and if found, come on again. If no network cable is plugged in, it will not come on again. After plugging a network cable into the SBC board, it should come on after about 1-2 seconds.
  • When connecting your SBC board direct to your PC, ensure you are using a crossover cable, and not a straight type.
  • When connecting to a switch or hub, you have to use a straight cable. Most new switches and hubs have automatic polarity detection, and a straight or crossover cable with work.

=== Ensure your network is configured correctly to access your board ===
SBC65EC and SBC68EC boards with the Modtronix Web Server V3.05 and higher have DHCP and NetBIOS enabled by default. When these boards are plugged into a network with a DHCP server (Most Broadband modems for example have a DHCP server built in), they are automatically assigned an IP address. In this case, no configuration is required. The board can be accessed by using it's default NetBIOS name of "mxboard". In a browser, enter the following in the address box "http://mxboard".

If the board is connected to a network without a DHCP server, the board's IP address will remain "10.1.0.1". To be able to access the SBC board on your network, one of two things can be done:
  • By using the serial configuration menu on the SBC board, change the boards IP and Subnet Mask so that it is accessible within your network. For example, if your PC's IP address is "192.168.0.5", and your Subnet mask is "255.255.255.0", you can configure your SBC boards IP address to, for example (ensure it is free on your network) "192.168.0.100" and it's Subnet Mask to "255.255.255.0". All Modtronix SBC boards have a RS232 interface that is accessible via a 3 pin Molex type connector. By using the CAB3S6FT cable (see http://www.modtronix.com/product_info.php?products_id=103), you can connect the SBC board to the serial port of a PC and configure it. At startup the SBC board will look for a character input for the first 3 seconds. If it finds any, it will go into configuration mode. Use a terminal program (like HyperTerminal on Windows) configured for 57600 baud, 1 stop bit, no parity, no flow control (handshaking).
  • Change the IP address and Subnet Mask of your PC. Using this method, you can change the IP address and Subnet Mask of your PC so you can access the Ethernet SBC board. Assuming your Ethernet SBC board has a default IP address of "10.1.0.1", you can change your PC's network settings to IP="10.1.0.100", Subnet Mask="255.255.255.0". If you PC is configured for DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically), you will have to disable this too. Ensure to make a note of what your PC's network settings were before changing them, seeing that you most likely will have to change them back again at a later stage. After doing these changes, you will be able to access your Ethernet SBC board from your PC. For example, type in http://10.1.0.1 in your browser, and you should see your SBC Boards web page. You can then for example change the network settings on your SBC board to a different value.
  • When changing the IP or MAC address, or other network settings it might not be possible accessing the board on the network any more. In this case, the cached settings on your PC have to be reset. On windows the following commands can be used (on Windows 7, start command window as Administrator!):
    • Clear ARP table with "arp -d" command in a dos window. You can view the ARP entries with the "arp -a" command
    • Clear the NetBIOS table with "nbtstat -R" command in dos window

=== Using multiple SBC board ===
See http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=145.0
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:12:12 PM by modtro2 »

fons

• View Profile
Re: === Getting started with your Ethernet SBC board ===
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 01:16:23 AM »
How to access your PC network AND the SBCXXXX:

When using a static IP adress on your PC e.g. 192.168.50.123:
it is also possible to assign more than one IP adress to your pc's networkcard
open "network connections",
select your networkcard -> properties
"internet protocol tcp/ip" -> properties -> advanced
"ip settings tab" -> "add" -> add 10.1.0.2 subnetmask 255.255.255.0

Confirm all settings by hitting several times OK

drichard

• View Profile
Re: == Getting started with your Ethernet board ==
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 11:14:28 AM »
rs232 baud rate is 19200 not 57600.  spent a good hour figuring that out.

MotoDog

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 11:41:11 AM »
I got the serial to work fine at 57,600?  Still can't get the SBC to see my Either Net card in the PC?
I have changed addresses at both ends?  No action.  Driving me nuts!
Green Led does not indicate any valid connection.  I have tried every thing I can think of for 2 days now?

Stumped!

Mike
Crestline, Ca. :-(

steves

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 12:04:14 PM »
I got the serial to work fine at 57,600?  Still can't get the SBC to see my Either Net card in the PC?
I have changed addresses at both ends?  No action.  Driving me nuts!
Green Led does not indicate any valid connection.  I have tried every thing I can think of for 2 days now?

Stumped!

Mike
Crestline, Ca. :-(

Are you using a cross-over cable? If not, try that.

HTH,

Steve S

MotoDog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2005, 12:17:10 PM »
Thanks,  Woopie!

I asked in an email to Modtronix that question.  I got an email to come look here for help.  I wish the documentation would have mentioned that?

I think you are correct.  Since my last post, I connected the SBC65 INTO my 4 port Router.  Used the serial port to change
address from default, and WOW!  I am connected now.  First time in 2 days I have seen the embeded website.
The difference in using the router is probably the "crossed" cable is NOT needed?

So, I think you might be correct, when connected directly to the either net card in the PC, one might need a
"crossed" cable.  I might try it later?

Thanks, Again...I think your correct!

Mike, Now connecting!

MotoDog

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 08:55:25 AM »
Now that SBC65 is running :-D

I have been looking thru this forum for a while.
It is still not clear to me how to change the embedded pages, a primer, from A to Z?
I think I could do it, but still am worried I will never see it work again if I mess it up!
I have seen bits and pieces in different topics?   I know it is probably all here somewhere?

I have an ICD2 and bought the programming
cable.  I got the serial going with a homemade cable, no problem.

I know there is a new board coming with Boot Loading Software.  But, I would like to go thru the
cycle with what I have now.  Do I need something to program the EEPROM, or will the SBE65
load the EEPROM.  I saw somewhere about FTP being able to be used.  Can't find that again.

I down loaded Student C Version and got the supplied Project to compile - no ERRORS :-D
I have yet to connect to the ICD-2? 

I also have a Pic Start Plus, but it probably need a serial programming adaptor or something for ICP?

Is there a step by step detailed procedure.  Where did I miss on how the EEPROM gets programmed?

Another question, wouldn't it be cheaper to order a new board than to pay postage both ways to get
the Boot Loader installed when it becomes avaiable?  Considering USA and insurrance?

Dave should like this fact! :-D

Thanks,

Mike, over my head with this, but having fun.
Crestline, Ca.

128bit

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 06:29:52 PM »
Hi,

Are you still having difficulties with programming the board. If your concerened about not seeing the original state just save the original hex file and bin file. The EEprom can be reset with the serial interface pretty easily so nothing to worry about. As long as you dont change the direction of used IO lines you shouldn't have any difficulties.

Let me know.

Daniel.
----------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people, those who understand Binary and those who don't! :)

Aussieglider

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2006, 10:22:04 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I have been trying to get my new SBC68EC talking for several days now with no success.

I have connected via the serial port at 57600 and changed the IP address to one that suits my network, entered a subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and a gateway address of our ADSL modem (static IP also).

The LED indications on the SBC seem correct, however I can never seems to connect to the device using a web browser. I have tried putting the "Safe mode" jumper on and changing my computers IP address to 10.1.0.102 and still cant connect to or view any web pages at 10.1.0.1

Can anyone please offer me some advice or assistance?
Regards
Glendon

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:06:53 AM »
Hello Glendon

To view the web page, or ping the board, don't start it in safe mode. Safe mode is only for the bootloader. The first step should be to start your board in normal mode and try to ping it. Common problems are firewalls or virus protection software that block the IP address of the board. The best is to install Ethereal (www.ethereal.com), start monitoring your network traffic, and then try to ping your board or access it via a browser. You can then see exactly what network traffic was transferred between your PC and the SBC68EC board. This will for example show you if there is a firewall blocking the network traffic. If you are not sure what the results mean, send them to me (www.modtronix.com/contactus.php) and we will have a look at them for you.

Aussieglider

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 12:05:46 AM »
Hi, I have emailed you the some capture files as mentioned yesterday. I am still waiting for a reply. Not sure what is going wrong. Sometimes I can get a partial view of the built in web pages. All I get is the yellowish bar at the top with Modtronix SBC68EC in it and the menu down the left. I never get anything else. I have run the network bootloader program and reloaded the HEX file (latest) and the web pages (latest) and the process seems to complete successfully. So I am lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Glendon

Aussieglider

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 04:28:14 AM »
Hi everyone. I have found the problem (with help from David over the phone...thanks David).
Thought I would post it here for others just in case anyone experiences the same problems.

Simple answer is the ethernet switch is doing something to the data. This is a rather strange issue as the switch has been functioning correctly with several PC's (one running as a web server), a FTP server (embedded), and at two lantronix embedded ethernet to serial converters. But plug in the SBC68 and it only works partially. Everything else seems to still be working.

I replaced the switch with a different brand and the problem stayed with no change. Closer investigation of the replacement switch revealed it to be the same as the first one. So went looking for another switch, replaced it and now the SBC68 works great!

After discussions with David, I will send him one of the switches that is causing the problem so he can try to identify a possible solution.

One more point to note is that the switches with the problems are low quality cheapo types. The strange thing is the switch that IS working is a different model (16 port, not 8) but same brand.

Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know what is happening with this problem.

realwine

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 12:58:44 AM »
I just get my sbc68 and devt16t daughter card and trying to connect them to each other. For power you say that 9 V DC adapter with centre (+) is good but after i connect the dev16t can there be any power problem. Because devt16t datasheet says that the max. voltage value must be 5,5V. And also sbc68 operates within 7-30V. What can i do? Does the sbc68 reduce the voltage? I'm looking for your answers before i plug the board and the connected card.
Thanks
Emre

Jdelarosa

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2006, 03:05:49 PM »
Good Afternoon everyone,
 :?
I have been trying to communicate with a SBC65EC. I connected a PC to a network and the SBC board to the same network using regular cat5e cables, and I type in the IE browser the default IP address http://10.1.0.1, but the page is not found. This forum provide some different solutions I tried changing the IP address of the PC networking by going to the control panel --> network connections --> Local Area Connection Properties -->TCP/IP an selected use the following IP address  IP address: 10.1.0.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 Default gateway  .   .   .   .  -->ok
The same result occurs page is not found. I tried connecting using the Mondronix Network bootloader to check if the SBC Board would be found, but the software is not able to location the board. One question is can the bootloader to overwritten by having the check box (update EEPROM configuration Data:) check if there is no firmware hex file selected.  Does anyone have a solution or advice to these problems? Thank you.

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 05:16:58 PM »
You have to first configure your PC's network so that 10.1.0.1 is accessable via your computer. Setting your PC's IP to 10.1.0.2 and 255.255.255.0 as the gateway should work. It might take a while until the new network setting take affect on your computer. First thing to try is to see if 10.1.0.1 is accessable, this can be done by trying to ping it. Open a DOS window, and type in "ping 10.1.0.1". You should see a successfull reply, indicating that your PC could access the board. If you still can not access it, there could be lots of reasons for that. You could have a firewall installed on your PC or network not allowing you to access the board? Are you connecting to the SBC65EC via a switch, or direct? If you are connecting to the SBC65EC direct from your PC, ensure you are using a crossover cable, and not a straight type.

If still no luck, download Ethereal from www.ethereal.com and monitor the activity on your network when you try to ping the board. This will nearly always show you why you can not access the board.