Author Topic: Just downloaded the no loader hex file and clobbered the SBC65EC V3.01  (Read 11612 times)

roylefamily

• View Profile
Hi,

I had a SBC65EC V3.01 communicating with the web browser and netloader over the utp cable. I then loaded the wrong web server. The one with no boot loader :|

The board comes alive in safe mode with the led flashing but will not communicate on any of 10.1.0.1, 192.168.1.1, 192.168.0.1

Occasionally I do get a windows 7 pop up complaining of two devices on the network with the same ip.

"The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.1.1 with the system having network hardware address 00-04-A3-00-00-00. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result."

Any thoughts?

gr

• View Profile
Re: Just downloaded the no loader hex file and clobbered the SBC65EC V3.01
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 08:48:49 AM »
Sounds like you already have a device at 192.168.1.1.  Probably your router.  If from your computer in cmd window you type "ipconfig" what is the address of your gateway and what is the ip address of your computer?  I'm going to guess that the gateway (router) is 192.168.1.1 and your computer is 192.168.1.X  where X is something else such as 101.

You have 3 choices: Change the ip address of the mxboard, change the ip address of the router (royal pain if you have many devices in your house) or don't use the router (use a crossover cable).   It is probably in safemode which means it should respond to 10.1.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.  If it isn't you can force safemode with the safemode jumper and power cycle it.  If you don't know what I'm talking about you should do some more reading of what you bought.  Or google sbc65ec safemode.

But the problem is if your network is 192.168.1.* then if you try to connect to say 10.1.0.1 then your computer thinks the mxboard is on a different network and will try to go through your router.  But your router has told all devices that they are on 192.168.1.* so it probably assumes 10.1.0.1 is out on the internet and will send your requests off to the internet instead of the mxboard.  So really - you should either buy a $10 crossover cable, or if you have an old network hub sitting around (not a full blown NAT translation cable modem or wifi router, but simply a 4 port hub that doesn't need it's own address) then hook your computer and the mxboard into *that*.  Reinstall the proper software, setup the ip address to something reasonable that doesn't collide with other devices, say 192.168.1.13.  Then go back to your original network wiring.

Rick314

• SBC65EC/66EC, PT24E, LCD2S-204FHB, PICkit 3, MPLAB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 02:00:59 PM »
...or don't use the router (use a crossover cable).   It is probably in safemode which means it should respond to 10.1.0.1, 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1.  If it isn't you can force safemode with the safemode jumper and power cycle it.

I agree, and think this is your best path forward.  But I doubt that the crossover cable is required, making this approach even simpler.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medium_dependent_interface#Auto-MDIX that explains how most modern computers (like yours I would guess, since it has Windows 7) will recognize that a normal LAN cable is being used where a crossover cable should be, and compensate for it automatically.  My old 2004 Windows XP laptop works fine direct-connected to an SBC65EC using a normal (not crossover) LAN cable.  It won't hurt any hardware, so just try this network topology:

PC <-> normal LAN cable <-> SBC65EC

That's all, nothing else on your PC's ethernet port.  You have to be sure the PC network connection is configured to be able to communicate with the SBC65EC.  See http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=1512.msg4666#msg4666 for how to do this using Windows XP.  I don't have a Windows 7 machine available so don't know exactly how to configure PC IP address in Windows 7.  If this works, great.  If not, then I would invest in a crossover LAN cable and try again.

There is one other option -- The SBC65EC RS-232 interface allows seeing and setting the IP address.  It is more complicated, requiring PC/SBC65EC RS-232 cabling, a PC terminal emulator like Windows Hyperterminal (COM1, 57600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control).  Power-on SBC and see "Press any key for Configuration menu......." and press Enter quick before the "....." ends.  Getting this working also opens the door to using the Modtronix Embedded Debugger with MPLAB software development, that allows configuring and seeing run-time print statement output from the SBC65EC.  Ask if you want more information about using the SBC65EC RS-232 port.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:10:57 PM by Rick314 »

roylefamily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 02:15:43 PM »
Thanks for that.

Now have the SBC connected straight to the laptop with a crossover cable. Have the laptop as 192.168.0.100, 255.255.255.0

Netloader can't connect. I got the wireshark netsniffer going and looked at the ports. Three are visible, one being the wifi with traffic. Two others that show no activity when netloader is trying to connect. Netloader wouldn't go in windows 7 so run it in Win XP SP2 mode.

I'm disturbed that I see no UDP out.

gr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
Because you killed the normal program that runs on the SBC, you only have a 3 (or so) second window after you power cycle the SBC where the netloader can connect to it.  So start the bootloader and enter the ip address of your board (192.168.0.1, right?) and then click connect and then power cycle the SBC.

Personally I would turn off all other networks (especially wifi) during testing.  Otherwise the bootloader commands might get sent out the wrong interface (the wifi interface).

For some reason I thought wireshark had to be on a 3rd computer.  In other words I didn't think wireshark could monitor traffic that goes to or from the computer that wireshark is running on.  I'm probably wrong about this.  But maybe that is why it didn't see any udp packets?  The udp packets might be general broadcast.  If you are going to use wireshark, you should be logging all ethernet packets - not just ip packets.

gr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
By the way - I didn't have to run bootloader in win xp mode.  I was able to run it in win7 fine except there were permission issues so I moved the whole thing to a subfolder of my user folder and then it worked fine.  This is in another recent thread.

roylefamily

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »
Wow what a good forum. Thanks folks.

I have an interesting screen shot. I have wifi off and single crossover cable to the SBC, no other devices connected. For reasons unknown wireshark can now see traffic on the utp cable. It looks like the hardware layer is trying to do the right thing but netloader is still not connecting. I will be experimenting with the environment the netloader runs in.

Look at line 1186 and 87.

gr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »
1186 and 1187 show that both your machine and the SBC has at least ARP working.

1188 looks like the bootloader trying to talk to the board.  So maybe you are wrong.  Maybe bootloader is working fine.  Did you remember to power cycle the SBC *after* hitting the "connect" button in bootloader?

roylefamily

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:17:36 PM »
Yes I start neloader "connect" and then power up the SBC. I think you are right. Netloader is doing its UDP thing. The SBC can only manage arp so it is broken. It seems that not every situation can be saved with netloader despite safe mode running on the SBC.

As an aside installing netloader to the documents folder has enabled it to run in windows 7 without using compatibility mode.

gr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Very strange.  Don't give up just yet.  If all you did was install the wrong software you should be able to recover.  The problem is probably that you aren't connecting in the correct timeframe.  Perhaps you need to reboot SBC just *before* hitting connect button.  Also don't click the "update eeprom" button.  *only* click connect button.  Also uncheck "reset before connect".  That only works if the webserver is working which it isn't.  So this will probably cause more problems than it will fix.  Also read the documentation of how to connect to an SBC  when the main software is toast.  The bootloader can still connect but I forget the exact procedure.

roylefamily

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 09:52:44 PM »
Tried all those things, no good. If I follow the instructions to the letter then I get a good arp exchange. Then the SBC can't manage to respond to the UDP from netloader.

leifo

• View Profile
    • Olsens PrivatPC
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 02:42:08 AM »
Have you tried disabling the Windows Firewall?
Could be that it's blocking responses.

Rick314

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 11:55:05 AM »
roylefamily: I suggest keeping things as simple as possible until you can communicate with the SBC.  Specifically, don't involve the Modtronix Netloader until you have a "ping" working or can browse to the SBC home web page using HTTP.  Have you followed the process I suggested at http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=1512.msg4666#msg4666 yet?  Or if you have everything working now, please let us know.

roylefamily

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »
Hi,

As things stand the led flashes. ARP is achived and the board reports its mac and ip however it ignores the udp packets. I have just tried serial comms but it fails to talk on the serial port. I have verified my serial setup is good with another working SBC.

I have followed
http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=1512.msg4666#msg4666
The SBC web page is not working.

Rick314

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
I have followed http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=1512.msg4666#msg4666.  The SBC web page is not working.
What happened after connecting the PC to SBC using a crossover cable, getting the PC at 10.1.0.2 and subnet 255.0.0.0, and at the Windows Command Prompt typing "ping 10.1.0.1"?  This uses Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) instead of User Datagram Protocol (UDP).  If this also didn't work, I think I am out of ideas.  But the fact that the SBC LED is blinking and Wireshark shows Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) works says to me that much of the SBC is alive and well.