Author Topic: == Trouble Shooting ==  (Read 13995 times)

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
== Trouble Shooting ==
« on: December 01, 2005, 02:41:50 PM »
Restoring default configuration on SBC65EC and SBC68EC boards
The following applies to V3.00 and higher SBC65EC and SBC68EC boards. They will have a sticker on them saying "HW: V3.00" or a higher number. If the board can not be access via the "Modtronix Network Bootloader" application anymore, it can be reset to it's default state. This can happen if the user programs the board with faulty code for example. For details on doing this, see the "Updating the firmware on a faulty board" section in the documentation:
Details for SBC65EC
Details for SBC68EC
Basically the board must be started in Safemode. In this mode it will start up with default settings and IP address. It can then be accessed via the "Modtronix Network Bootloader" using one of the 3 default ip addresses, and programmed as usual.

Restoring default configuration on old SBC65EC and SBC68EC boards
All version of the SBC65EC and SBC68EC up to V2.04 and all versions of the SBC44EC and SBC45EC up to V2.03 store their configuration data in the first 64 bytes of the external EEPROM. All V3.00 and higher boards store their configuration data in the internal EEPROM of the PIC chip, and this section does NOT apply to them.

When developing code that modifies the EEPROM data, it is very easy to corrupt the configuration data on the EEPROM. Be aware that when trying to write data to the EEPROM you could accidentally overwrite the configuration data of the EEPROM, which will cause the SBC board to not work after next power up - due to the EEPORM being corrupt!

If the EEPROM configuration data gets corrupted (board doesn't start up anymore), do the following:

1) Remove power from the SBC board and remove the EEPROM chip from it's socket.
2) Apply power to the SBC board. Seeing that there is no EEPROM, the board will load default configuration.
3) Use web browser to log onto the SBC board's web page - will be at default IP address of 10.1.0.1 (http://10.1.0.1).
4) Insert EEPROM into socket - be VERY carefull seeing that the board is powered!
5) On web page, make any modification and press the "update" button. For example, make a change on the "port settings" page and click on "update" button.

After clicking the update button, the EEPROM will be written with new configuration data. It will now work after power up again, and the configured values will be loaded.

Uploading Web pages via FTP
The following documentation only applies to Ethernet boards with software V2.00 to V2.04. For information of uploading web pages for the new V3.00 and higher Ethernet boards, please see the detailed documentation on the board's product page, or included with the downloaded source code.
Configure your ftp program as follows:
Host name(port): 10.1.0.1
Username: ftp
Passpword: microchip

I always use Total Commander to do all ftp transfers. It is a great FREE utility that can do much more then just ftp.
1) Get a free download from http://www.ghisler.com/
2) Select <net><ftp connect> from menu
3) Click on "new connection" button.
4) Enter any name in "Session" box, and above values in "Host name", "Username" and "Password" boxes
5) Connect and download *.bin file containing HTML pages.

For details on creating the *.bin file, see documentation. It is basically just an image file containing all web pages in a given folder. The "go.bat" file in the ../src/webpages folder (in modtronix web server source download) creates a default.bin file for the web pages contained in the ../src/webpages/default folder. So, to modify the web pages and download your new web pages to the SBC44EC, SBC45EC, SBC65EC, SBC68EC,.... do the following:
1) Make changes to web files (htm, cgi...), or add new files to the ../src/webpages/default folder
2) Execute the ../src/webpages/doall.bat file. This will create the ../src/webpages/default.bin image file.
3) Download the default.bin image file just created to your SBC44EC, SBC45EC or SBC65EC board via ftp.

Your Ethernet board will now have the new web page on it.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 06:20:07 PM by modtro2 »

128bit

• View Profile
Re: == Trouble Shooting ==
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
Hi,

May I make a suggestion for future releases of the Stack, perhaps it would be good to use a CRC or check sum to check if the configuration is ok? I have implemented this on my data routines and it works well.

---
Daniel.
----------------------------------------------------
There are 10 types of people, those who understand Binary and those who don't! :)

Huma

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 10:19:38 PM »
Hi!
I am using ABC65EC BOARD actually I tried the steps that u have mentioned in trouble shooting but still the board is not responding . Please suggest something soon. Does that mean my board is destroyed forever ?
 Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Thanking you,

Hum

santojuan2000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 12:47:08 PM »
Hi

I have a SBC68EC board and when I turn connect it to the power supply of 12V only the green light comes on and stay that way.

Any idea on this issue???

--Juan :oops:

-----------------------------------------
Hi again,

It was the power supply. I tried with another one 9V and it starts normally...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 01:57:36 PM by santojuan2000 »

Primadiag

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 07:32:50 AM »
Dear all,

I don't know exactly why, but I'm not able to connect on my brand new SBC65EC (HW 3.01, BLN : V1.00, SW : V3.06) using bootloader with IP 10.1.0.1.

Web page upload work well, as well as the web server (port 80).

But for stange reason... PC seems not able to connect to the card.

Seeing that it was not working with IP 192.168.0.1 and a ethernet switch ; I connected the module directly to the PC using a cross cable.
The module is switched off as requested ; click on Connect ; switch the module on; but I have only a Error message on UDP if RESET radio button is clicked.

Passing the module in Safemode (CON3 on the rightest pos) gives the same result (except the led that blinks 4 time per sec).

I'm running under Vista (launching Netloader V1.06 using go_jre150_05.bat as suggested in another thread...).

Any suggestion welcome.

Primadiag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 08:43:47 AM »
Just to add that sending the m=r command via UDP (IP 10.1.0.1) port 53123 lead to the reboot of the module
 when using a small "home-made" application in VB.

Still puzzled.

G.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:45 AM »
Dear all,

I don't know exactly why, but I'm not able to connect on my brand new SBC65EC (HW 3.01, BLN : V1.00, SW : V3.06) using bootloader with IP 10.1.0.1.

Web page upload work well, as well as the web server (port 80).

But for stange reason... PC seems not able to connect to the card.

Seeing that it was not working with IP 192.168.0.1 and a ethernet switch ; I connected the module directly to the PC using a cross cable.
The module is switched off as requested ; click on Connect ; switch the module on; but I have only a Error message on UDP if RESET radio button is clicked.

Passing the module in Safemode (CON3 on the rightest pos) gives the same result (except the led that blinks 4 time per sec).

I'm running under Vista (launching Netloader V1.06 using go_jre150_05.bat as suggested in another thread...).

Any suggestion welcome.

Ok, connected directly with cross cable, but did you set a static ip address to your pc card? You must set a static ip address from your network card ip protocol settings in the same subnet. To check if your settings are ok, open command prompt (Run -> cmd) and type ping 10.1.0.1 ; if you have a reply it will work!

Primadiag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Dear OmarZ,

Thanks for the help.

The PC and the SBC65EC are indeed connected with a crossed cable, and the PC adress has been set to 10.1.0.2 (submask 255.255.255.0).
Ping 10.1.0.1 answers properly when the SBC enter in the normal mode (after the 3 sec bootloader delay).

Initially, I had to enter in the RS232 window (by chance I ordered the cable) to set the DHCP parameter to Disable

5: Enable DHCP & IP Gleaning.
6: Disable DHCP & IP Gleaning.Strangely

Nevertheless, I lost the pings either I reboot the card (during the 3 second delay), or I use the safemode (plug COM3), or when I enter in RS232 configuration loop (until I select 8 : Save & Quit).

By the way, I noticed the led remains dark 3 s on boot when RS232 cable is plugged;
the led remains lighted 3 s on boot when RS232 cable is absent
The led remains dark the time I keep in RS232 configuration menu and start blinking when I quit the menu (8 : save & Quit)

Ready for the next test...

Cheers.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 11:38:53 AM »
1) And are you sure that firewall don't block udp connection in that port? Disable firewall or enable manually port.
2) usually i do not have serial plugged

Primadiag

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:47 PM »
Dear OmarZ,

In all my tests, I had disabled the Windows firewall, so I guess it was not that.
Furthermore, I succeeded in reseting the module when sending the m=r message on UDP port 54123... So, something is passing...

Nevertheless, since then, I made the trial with a PC running XP SP2 and...

It working well.

At least, I can finish my project now.

I may come back with Ethereal or similar to try to understand what are the differences between Vista and XP or with Ports.

Thank again.

Cheers.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »
can be something with java beans or ... simply because of Vista  :mrgreen:!
It's better to have a standalone virtual machine with XP SP2 or SP3 and only the developing programs you need for your board.