Author Topic: inAir9 details  (Read 4186 times)

DanielL

• View Profile
inAir9 details
« on: April 23, 2015, 10:54:02 PM »
Hello,

Can you please look over the following questions and let me know?

1. During your tests, what was the real maximum range you achieved with inAir9?

2. Do you have CE certification for 868 and FCC certification for 915?

3. Is there a development kit available?

4. Do you also have a LoRa gateway?

5. You mentioned that the NZ32-ST1L boards have 3 iMod ports. This means that if WiFi, Bluetooth and SX1276 are connected in the same time, the board has the option to switch between them?

6. Can an accelerometer or a GPS be added to the NZ32-ST1L board?

7. For the inAir9 module, both 868 and 915 are available? Or there is one single module and this setting is manually done?

8. For the current version of this module you already have installed an RF shield or it is still coming without it?

9. The module can have a PCB antenna?

I look forward to your answers

Thank you

Daniel

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: inAir9 details
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 12:34:52 AM »
1)
"During your tests, what was the real maximum range you achieved with inAir9?"
Range depends on the Bandwidth and Scalling Factor setting of the LoRa modem. The lower the baud rate, the higher the sensitivity, and further the range. We did many test with the module, but our area is very built up and hilly, so need to still find a flat area to do proper tests. One of our customers got about 25 to 30km in Victoria Australia, which is very flat. We easily got 4km in the city using low power (14dBm) inAir9 module and 2dBm whip antenna.

2)
"Do you have CE certification for 868 and FCC certification for 915?"
Currently none, but very big demand for this module, and will soon be looking into this

3)
"Is there a development kit available?"
Should have development kit in about 2 weeks time. Consists out of a base board with OLED display and buttons. The STM32 and inAir9(LoRa) modules plug into this base board.

4)
"Do you also have a LoRa gateway?"
Is getting delivered to us at same time as development kit. Will be base board with STM32 processor and 4 x inAir LoRa modules(433, 868 or 915MHz). Will have a USB port that for communicating with LoRa modules, and connect to CPU like Raspberry Pi. First implementation will configure 1 of the LoRa modules as a transmitter, and the other 3 as receivers.

5) "
You mentioned that the NZ32-ST1L boards have 3 iMod ports. This means that if WiFi, Bluetooth and SX1276 are connected in the same time, the board has the option to switch between them?"
This should be possible. Not sure how they will work if all are transmitting at the same time, the WiFi and Bluetooth have some frequency, so might interfere with each other. Just added Bluetooth module short while ago. Will be adding Bluetooth V4 soon too. modtronix.com/in6bt.html

6)
"Can an accelerometer or a GPS be added to the NZ32-ST1L board?"
We have implemented this for a customer, and added a 1.0mm GPS connector to a base board that fits onto the NZ32-ST1L board. It takes a ADH Tech GPS module.

7)
"For the inAir9 module, both 868 and 915 are available? Or there is one single module and this setting is manually done?"
There is a single module for both. We were also surprised by this, but Semtech confirmed multiple times this is the way LoRa works. Contact Semtech, or download their LoRa reference design, and you will see it is identical for 868 and 915MHz. See Semtech SX1276RF1KAS and SX1276RF1IAS reference designs.

"For the current version of this module you already have installed an RF shield or it is still coming without it?"
Current inAir9 modules are without RF Shield. All new inAir9 modules will have RF shield (about 4-5 weeks away). The inAir4(434) and inAir9B(915MHz high power 20dBm) will only be available with shields. After current inAir9 stock is sold, all modules will have a shield.

9)
"The module can have a PCB antenna?"
Currently none with PCB antenna. We will however soon be adding very small, 5cm long antennas to our site.

DanielL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »
Thank you for your answers. Please find below a few more questions.

1)
"During your tests, what was the real maximum range you achieved with inAir9?"

Range depends on the Bandwidth and Scalling Factor setting of the LoRa modem. The lower the baud rate, the higher the sensitivity, and further the range. We did many test with the module, but our area is very built up and hilly, so need to still find a flat area to do proper tests. One of our customers got about 25 to 30km in Victoria Australia, which is very flat. We easily got 4km in the city using low power (14dBm) inAir9 module and 2dBm whip antenna.

When performing these tests were you keeping the modules within the EC and FCC limitations? (I know the modules are not yet certified, but I would like to understand how "real" is the result and how will this be altered after a future certification)

2)
"Do you have CE certification for 868 and FCC certification for 915?"

Currently none, but very big demand for this module, and will soon be looking into this

Are we talking about weeks or months before the module will be certified?

3)
"Is there a development kit available?"

Should have development kit in about 2 weeks time. Consists out of a base board with OLED display and buttons. The STM32 and inAir9(LoRa) modules plug into this base board.

Can you please let me know the price for it and send me more details by email?

4)
"Do you also have a LoRa gateway?"

Is getting delivered to us at same time as development kit. Will be base board with STM32 processor and 4 x inAir LoRa modules(433, 868 or 915MHz). Will have a USB port that for communicating with LoRa modules, and connect to CPU like Raspberry Pi. First implementation will configure 1 of the LoRa modules as a transmitter, and the other 3 as receivers.

What will be the price for the gateway?
Can I please have the datasheet for it by email?

5) "
You mentioned that the NZ32-ST1L boards have 3 iMod ports. This means that if WiFi, Bluetooth and SX1276 are connected in the same time, the board has the option to switch between them?"

This should be possible. Not sure how they will work if all are transmitting at the same time, the WiFi and Bluetooth have some frequency, so might interfere with each other. Just added Bluetooth module short while ago. Will be adding Bluetooth V4 soon too. modtronix.com/in6bt.html

I don't want them to transmit in the same time. I wanted to know if the module can support a set of rules according to which, at a certain point, the module will switch from WiFi to Bluetooth or from LoRa to Wifi, for example. 

6)
"Can an accelerometer or a GPS be added to the NZ32-ST1L board?"

We have implemented this for a customer, and added a 1.0mm GPS connector to a base board that fits onto the NZ32-ST1L board. It takes a ADH Tech GPS module.

Do you think it is possible to have more details and a price for this, by email?
Was there an accelerometer used as well or just a GPS module?

7)
"For the inAir9 module, both 868 and 915 are available? Or there is one single module and this setting is manually done?"

There is a single module for both. We were also surprised by this, but Semtech confirmed multiple times this is the way LoRa works. Contact Semtech, or download their LoRa reference design, and you will see it is identical for 868 and 915MHz. See Semtech SX1276RF1KAS and SX1276RF1IAS reference designs.

Sorry but my question was a little bit confusing. My point was: do you sell the modules already preset for 868 MHz or 915 MHz (as two different modules), or they come as universals (as one single module) and you provide a GUI that will allow us to set the frequency? 

"For the current version of this module you already have installed an RF shield or it is still coming without it?"

Current inAir9 modules are without RF Shield. All new inAir9 modules will have RF shield (about 4-5 weeks away). The inAir4(434) and inAir9B(915MHz high power 20dBm) will only be available with shields. After current inAir9 stock is sold, all modules will have a shield.

What is your production capacity for the inAir9 modules and where are they manufactured?

9)
"The module can have a PCB antenna?"

Currently none with PCB antenna. We will however soon be adding very small, 5cm long antennas to our site.

10) Can you please tell me what is the price for the  NZ32-ST1L board and if you have any available at this point?

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 03:30:26 PM »
1)
When performing these tests were you keeping the modules within the EC and FCC limitations? (I know the modules are not yet certified, but I would like to understand how "real" is the result and how will this be altered after a future certification)
Yes, we did them with the inAir9 module(920MHz), which is only 25mW(14dBm). This is within the legal limits for that frequency. The new inAir9B will be able to go up to 100mW(20dBm)

2)
Are we talking about weeks or months before the module will be certified?
Currently nothing scheduled or planed, so will be many months till/if we get any certification.

3) Boards were shipped to us yesterday. Should be available next week. Please send me an email again next week.

4)
What will be the price for the gateway? Can I please have the datasheet for it by email?
Board for gateway was also shipped to us yesterday. But, the software will take couple of weeks. Will be making it publicly available, so first bete version should hopefully be available within 2 weeks. Price should be around USD80 to USD100 for Gateway with 4 Lora Modems.

5)
I don't want them to transmit in the same time. I wanted to know if the module can support a set of rules according to which, at a certain point, the module will switch from WiFi to Bluetooth or from LoRa to Wifi, for example.
Yes, this will be no problem.

6)
Do you think it is possible to have more details and a price for this, by email? Was there an accelerometer used as well or just a GPS module?
Only GPS, no accelerometer. Please send me an email for details.

7)
Sorry but my question was a little bit confusing. My point was: do you sell the modules already preset for 868 MHz or 915 MHz (as two different modules), or they come as universals (as one single module) and you provide a GUI that will allow us to set the frequency? 
The inAir9 module works for 868 and 915, and is configured by software for required frequency.

8)
What is your production capacity for the inAir9 modules and where are they manufactured?
Most of our production is done by a company in Taiwan, but we also use a different company in China some times. We can get them to manufacture/test many 1000 modules per week if required. Will however have lead time of 5-8 weeks for larger orders (500+). These modules are becoming very popular, and we will be increasing our stock.

9)
Can you please tell me what is the price for the  NZ32-ST1L board and if you have any available at this point?
Have a couple of 100 available. Price is USD24. Will however be releasing a much cheaper version with smaller CPU (STM32070C8) and no battery charging circuitry for below USD15.

DanielL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 11:41:10 PM »
Thanks again for your answers.

Can you please tell me with how many devices can the gateway communicate?

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
Hi, sorry for long delay. Been very busy getting required hardware manufactured. We now have a new base board, the PT4NZ. It can take 4 x iMod modules, like LoRa SX1276, Bluetooth, RS232, RS485, Mosfet, Relay, Opto Input... The inAir boards(433, 868 and 915MHz LoRa modules) are LoRa modules. So, you can have the 1 LoRa module on the STM32 board, and 4 additional ones on the PT4NZ board. So, a total of 5 boards. Generally 1 will be a dedicated transmitter, and the rest for receive. So, 1 x Transmit and 4 x Receive. It will require 2 antennas. One for the transmitter, and the 4 receive channels combined via a splitter.

I attached a photo showing a Gateway with 1 x Transmit, 3 x Receive, and a 6-28V switch mode power iMod, the pm35SS-5.