Author Topic: Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller  (Read 9645 times)

Administrator

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 171
    • View Profile
    • http://www.modtronix.com
Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« on: August 08, 2006, 02:01:49 PM »
Helmut Hissen from Zeebar Technology has created a nice web page documenting how to turn the IOR5E and SBC65EC into a sprinkler controller. For details, see www.zeebar.com/notes/modtronix.html
*** Modtronix Engineering Support ***

Modxhost

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 03:41:22 AM »
I followed the instructions published at your site. Modified the websrvr.c file, and httpexec.c file. Using bootloader 1.06, I successfully connected to the board (Found SBC65EC, Hardware V3.01 (PIC18F6627)) Got the "Upgrading Firmware" message. Then got :-

- "Error while opening hex file - Error while decoding given hex file" &
- "Error while programming target was NOT successfully programmed"

So now I can't access the board at all. How is this problem fixed ?


modtro2

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 564
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »
Hello

Are your referring to the instructions published on the "www.zeebar.com" site? If you only used the bootloader to program your boards, everything will be OK. The bootloader is contained in a protected part of the FLASH, and can not be erased. So, no matter what you do (as long as there is no smoke :-), it will always still be there. If you can however not access your board any more after trying to program it, you will have to start the SBC board in safemode. For details on this, see the "Updating the firmware on a faulty board" section of the documentation at www.modtronix.com/products/sbc65ec/doc/update_firmware.

I would like to know what modification you did to the code to get that error message? I have never seen that error message before? I assume it was given by the bootloader PC program? Could you maybe send me your source code so I can build and test it on the bootloader?

Modxhost

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 04:12:18 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your reply. I used this code and the Modtronix Network bootloader V1.06

http://www.zeebar.com/download/modior5e/mxwebsrvr.txt 

I modified the file as per the instructions, adding the code although it's not very explicit on where, so I added it to the end of file, connected, then pushed the upgrade firmware button, and got those errors. If you haven't seen them before, I guess that's just my bad luck.

I've read the safe mode instructions - where do I buy the safe mode dongle? Is it included in the kit, or do I just use a wire between the pins?

I purchased the SBC65EC and relay board, the SBC65EC was working fine on ethernet, but the relay board apparently did nothing hence the reason I followed the instructions.

Now the SBC65EC isn't showing up, the relay board I guess is still not going to be doing anything - not bad for a weeks work :)



Modxhost

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »
All sounds about right ... right?

So I'm needing to shelve these two boards because they don't work. I spent about two weeks reading through the forums and support pages, not including the weeks I read through the site before deciding to make the purchase, and I haven't gained any additional insights as to what caused the problem. And neither has a solution been forthcoming, which I understand people have their own fish to fry - I should have been more thorough "before" buying the boards in respect of the number of times people seemingly hit problems which then go largely unresolved.

I don't consider myself "entry level", having mastered the Arduino which I've contributed tutorials for, and various Phidget boards that I've hacked to do things they weren't originally designed to do.

So my determinations are that these boards are up there for maximum drain on time for least return on effort.

Not to mention, the cost - several hundred dollars worth of boards that I might as well throw out.

I can see that efforts have been made to make the use of these boards cohesive, but I think there is a huge issue with the ease of which error'd code can render the board completely inoperable.

Perhaps it's a matter of the board just having a simple reset button added, like the Arduino - rather than the crossing of two wires which sound kinda make-shift and hazardous in my opinion.

The other drawback is that there's too much information that's entirely left open to interpretation to anyone unfortunate enough to be a "newbie" to these particular products. And I think perhaps, not enough information dealing with issues, like the one I have hit.

The sprinkler code is obviously been the cause of the problem, so I would suggest your moderators remove the thread, so others like myself, don't stray here and make the same mistake.

At least until, the issues have been properly identified and resolved :)


epizido09

  • Guest
Turning the IOR5E into a Sprinkler Controller
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »
Looks like Ive made something of a Faux Pas by starting this topic without having done my own reading first  ... mumbles something about it wont be the last time