Author Topic: making a wheather station with LCD AND WEB interface  (Read 38807 times)

Jean Marc

making a wheather station with LCD AND WEB interface
« on: May 23, 2005, 04:11:54 AM »
Dear all,

I long have the idea to make a weather station with an SBC44 ethernet board. Of course an LCD is needed to display some values locally, but the WEB interface would allow to have a nice coloured display on a PC screen, with graphics, curves etc...
Also one could connect remotely and know exact weather situation in a distant place. A remote PC server/client could also be used to log data files over years to have an history.

The only problem is that although it is not really difficult to make, it might take ages before I could complete it.

My idea is to share the development with others people who would be interested in having a nice weather station at home.

First we could share ideas about what should be monitored (pressure, temp1, temp2..., humidity, rain, wind, direction, light....)
Then choose the sensors...  Analog/digital...
Then I could make the schematics up to the PCB of the interface  circuit that would plug directly to an SBC44EC...

And if some guys could work on the firmware & PC software that would be very nice...

Any person interested ?
then let me know !

JM

egogus

• View Profile
Re: making a wheather station with LCD AND WEB interface
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 01:40:08 AM »
Dear JM,

I am really interested in this project. I can help you about PC-side software, I think you want to work on HW side.

Regards,
Erdinc.
[email protected]

krishna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 12:07:15 AM »
Hi Friends

I am interested in your project.Will you include me in your team. I am developing Process monitoring solutions. I am doing the firmware design and implementation . I think I also can do a part in the project..

thanks and regards
                                                                                                  krishna
                                                                                                  India

neils

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 05:38:40 AM »
Hi All,
Krishna mentioned process monitoring and that is more my area also. I would like to be able to get temperature and voltage among other things back from a remote location over a broadband network. I'm not sure what I can offer for this project but I do have some basic programming knowledge and also and electrical and electronics background. I am really registering my interest in this and saying I will help any way I can.
Neil.

Jean-Marc DELPRAT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 01:51:09 PM »
Good !

Thanks to all who answered and also to those who'll join later !
Now we enter the cold season (in Europe) and that's the best time to stay at home and do some electronics !

I'll come back within a few weeks with some description of my idea...

stay tuned !

jm

Rudios

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 01:05:26 PM »
Hello you guys.

How your going with the project.
I just bought the SBC65EC and I'm also interested in making a weather station.
Maybe I can join you guys in developing

Please let me know

ron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 12:40:47 PM »
Hi guys

I am not expert like you guys.
But I do have good PIC programming knowledge.
With this I have C++ and VB experience,Let me know if there is something I can do.

I would love to learn more about remote monitoring ,client/server kind of stuff with embedded systems.
I am aslo trying to develop CAN to ethernet gateway ,lets see what happens  :-D

realwine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 06:39:44 AM »
Hi All,
I need to make a wheather station, i have sbc68 and devt16t with temp. sensor. If it is not too late i can work with you.

[email protected]
Emre

GeoMiles

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2006, 10:26:30 AM »
I have the DEV65 with 2 x 16 LCD, Dallas 1-Wire Bus Master, Battery backed Real Time Clock, 2 x 8 pin header connector for external IO connection and SBC68EC with added fram - just a newbe at this.  Looking to help and hoping for help from others :-)

attila

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:49:41 PM »
Hello Everybody!

Fisrt of all, I am sorry about my english, I hope you can understand.

I made a simple weather station based on SBC68EC. It is still under developement, has some problems, but works. Here is the link: meteo.homelinux.net.

I have a question as well: I added one page, which requires a logged in user. I can access that page, if I am in directly connecting to the board (I am in the same network), but if I would like to view the page from the Internet, then I cannot. The board immediatelly logs me out if I trying to access that page. (You can try it out Network Settings works, but System Settings does not).

Is anybody has any idea?

Thanks,
Attila.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 09:57:53 AM »
Hi,
i can access as you see in screenshot
I use firefox 2.0.0.3

You did a very good job!
Where are logged all the samples? eeprom or sd card??
It will be very nice to have your code.

grognut

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
Hi,

I bought a Modtronix SBC65EC recently for a similar project as yours. I think what you done is great.

My overall plan is to use thermistors with an ADC (MC3208) for temperature and a wet bulb for humidity. I haven't planned the pressure yet. Obviously I will need a pressure transducer.
For wind, I've just ordered the AAG wind direction and speed kit. I've ordered the RS232 interface with it which I will use with a PC until I write software for the PIC. The I will interface it ro the Modtronix board.

I also intend to battery power the unit with a couple of solar panels.

For logging I will use Fram and when substantially full the data will be transferred to eeprom. This really to protect the data in case of mains failure of a logging PC. I have two 24LC1025 generously supplied as samples from Microchip. ( the MC3208 was also a sample, and the voltage reference I'm using).

At the end of the ethernet link will be a mini itx PC running ubuntu linux for graphing and mass storage ( Apache PHP Mysql etc). These mini itx baords are great. For about 200 I've got a PC consuming 18 watts so fairly eco friendly to leave on.

For the graphing I have been using Jgraph. It's an open source graphing package in PHP which integrates well with Apache and MySql. One user has a weather station and is using polar plots for wind and speed.

I've a couple of questions for you.
Did you have any trouble using NTP. I am using Steve S's NTP and DNS stack. I have posted a couple of snags that I resovled. One was the need to include "projects.h" in the files. At the moment I get problems with DNS timing out. This causes an NTP timeout. In Steve S suggested code I added

if (sntpStatus() >= 200) // any error
      {
         dnsInit(dnsip); //**** Added this line ***/
         sntpInit();
      }

So if NTP hangs up because of an DNS error it will get reset. I guess there should be a time out in the DNS stack to give a DNS error. There may but something isn't quite right on my board/software.

Another thing. You are using the standard user name and password on you server. This means that someone could maliciously change your server or change the password and user so you can't access it.

best regards
Grognut

attila

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 10:21:10 AM »
Hello,

OmarZ: Thanks, Than I have no idea, why I cannot accsess that page. I will post the code with some drawings, as soon as it will be ready.

grognut: Thanks, yes I think the SB65EC is better choise since it has the serial port. I am using the same SNTP code, but never used the DNS part of it.

I am using the same ADC with  LM235 temperature, HIH-4000-004 hummidity and MPX4115 pressure sensor. For outdor monitoring right now I am using TCN-75 (but I am not statisfied with it, so will change it to SHT-71) connected on RS-485 bus. I am using SD-Card for data logging as well as for web-page storing. To draw graphics wz_jsgraphics.js form  http://www.walterzorn.com is a good solution.

Yes, I am using the standard user name and pw, because I asked a question about accessing "System setings", what I cannot do form the Internet. It looks like works fine for the others. Anyway, I can override user name and pw any time by programming the firmware. (Be carefully with the programming, I  am using PIC KIT2, and you can easyly override the bootloder, like I did.).

Regards,
Attila.

OmarZ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 03:40:52 PM »
Try to clean all cookies, temporary files and all offline pages: i think it's some stupid windows related problem....
Anyway i'm really interested in your SD Interface.... Can you tell more about it?

attila

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 09:22:21 AM »
I am modified the sd-card related files from Microchips Mass Storage firmware. After added it, I cannot use Modtronix Network booloader anymore to update web pages. You can send new webpages via command line ftp. Here are the soure files, still does not complate but works.