Author Topic: Future Presto Modules  (Read 14667 times)

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Future Presto Modules
« on: October 26, 2007, 02:06:47 PM »
I created this post to get some user input on what future Presto Modules to create. For the ones currently in development, see this post:
http://forum.modtronix.com/index.php?topic=855.0

=== Future Presto SBC boards ===
  • 72 mm wide SBC to fit into DIN rail PCB adaptor. This SBC board should have many iMod ports, at least 8. Circuit will be similar to new SBC80I, with 3V3 and 5V version.
  • SBC Board to fit into ENC2015S enclosure. Will have total of 8 iMod ports, four on top and 4 at the bottom. Circuit will be similar to new SBC80I, with 3V3 and 5V version.

=== Possible Future Presto iMod Modules ===
Presto iMod Modules are Electronic Interface Modules with Press-Fit connectors. They can be plugged into two rows of 1mm holes on a PCB.
  • 1 wire CAN
  • I2C or SPI controlled USART. This will allow many serial ports to be added to a SBC board. Using current iMods with RS232 line drivers means one serial port can be added for each USART the PIC chip has. This is currently only 2.
  • SD Card
  • Zigbee

=== Possible future double Presto iMods Modules ===
An iMod module can also be double size, in which case it uses two iMod ports.
  • 4 Relay
  • 8 Smart MOSFET outputs, 4A per channel. Smart MOSFETs has all types of protection built in, like short circuit, current limiting, ESD, temperature...
  • PoE Ethernet Module. Ethernet Module with RJ45 connector with magnetics, ENC28J60 Ethernet chip and Si3401 PoE chip. This module will add Ethernet to target board, and supply it with power.
  • Mixed I/O/Relay iMod

« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:50:29 PM by modtro2 »

niroblock

• View Profile
Re: Future iMod modules
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 07:43:21 PM »
hi mod,

Well there I like news updates ..  :-D

I have already noticed that the last SBC68 I have arrived have I2C

Much thanks always to improve your products

Another question would not have the permits to move to pic24 with 40mips?

In microchip say they will draw a new micro 32bit and 100mips so could have the Ethernet to 100MB not?

byee.
do not make any questions, if you already have the answer!

BlueTara

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »
Any planned support for dsPIC30 or dsPIC33? :?

niroblock

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 06:57:16 PM »
Now and not to an ARM-11 with a cooling liquid?

Joke :-D

I think that for an "embedded" free OS, pic24 already be well

Mine was just an idea so open more ports

TCP / UDP contemporarily

The SBC68EC is already an optimal product.

byee.

attila

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 11:07:16 AM »
Hi Modtronix!

A 1-Wire and SD-Card interface would be good. Maybe an opto isolated 1-wire port (if it is possible at all) or 12bit resolution A/D converter module as well.

(im1w.pdf looks a bit strange S1, R3, R4 ??  :-) )

As I can see, new boards will have SPI ethernet interface. Is it not too slow compared with RTL8019 chip? To use Ethernet an SD-Card on same SPI bus will not overload the bus?

Can you tell, when these new boards will be available?

Regards,
Attila.

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 01:19:17 PM »
Hello

I have never heard of isolated 1-wire port yet. But, I have not done lots with 1-wire ports at all - sounds like a good idea!

The funny components in im1w.pdf are not used. They are just there seeing that this board has exactly the same SMD components as some other iMod boards. This way, it is cheaper getting the SMD machines set up, and solder stencils made. A couple of boards share the same stencil. I still have to clean up the im1w.pdf file before releasing it.

The SPI interface is very fast. Specially when used with a fast PIC chip, or one of the new PIC24 or dsPIC33 chips.

I hope these boards will be available early next year. We have had some trouble with the DC/DC converters on the prototype board. Are trying different inductors so the power supply will work with a wider range of output currents and input voltages. The new inductor is larger, so we have to redo the PCB too.

We definitely want to add the PIC24 and dsPIC33 chips to our range. Will probably bring out a version of our 72mm DIN rail board with a chip these chips.

niroblock

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 08:36:53 PM »

Dern

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:28:20 PM »
Hi Modtro2,

I realize you won't be able/willing to answer this yet but I'll give it a shot anyway: do you have any idea what the price range will be for the new boards?

Nico

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:05:18 AM »
We are currently doing lots of tests, and some redesigns on the first batch of prototype iMod modules and SBC80I boards. Have already ordered 1000s of components for first production runs that will be early next year. We want the price for the SBC80I with Ethernet and RS232 iMod expansion module to be around the same price as our current Ethernet SBC boards - that is USD69.95 (quantity discount available). You can of course just buy the SBC80I board without these iMod expansion boards, which will then be much cheaper.

All prototypes are working very well. Will be making some changes to the designs though. The main changes are that we are replacing many of the current though hole components with surface mount ones. I are trying to get all components on the SBC80I surface mount. This will reduce the cost lots, seeing that the entire manufacturing process can be done by machine - no hand assembly of through hole components required. This means we will be able to provide boards for better price! I think the extra time spent doing this will be worth while. I can try and get some photos of the current prototypes on this forum soon.

sk_uk

• View Profile
    • http://www.skpang.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:57:47 AM »
Any more news on these new products?

I definitely want to see PIC24 and dsPIC33 all on 3.3v

Trifone

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2007, 11:24:40 PM »
hi,
i am very interested in Zigbee solution to interconnect several modules, when do you plan to provide your imod modules?
what device do you plan to use for zigbee?

thanks

liprandi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2008, 04:53:04 AM »
I'm trying to make a new module (daughter board) to connect in KNX (Konnex protocol) in PowerLine modulation (PL-132).
I'm using the sbc65/68. If you anticipate the pinout of your new iMod SBC card daughter connector, I can start to modify my project!

Sorry for my English! :-D

epizido09

Future Presto Modules
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
Thanks for your replies.

I get overwhelmed with all the modules available. I can't believe all the options available. Sometimes it's not easy to know which ones you might need.

I am starting with the basics and as I learn more about Drupal, I'll add what I need.

Thanks