Author Topic: SBC44UC w/ LCD Display  (Read 4253 times)

scooter757

• View Profile
SBC44UC w/ LCD Display
« on: April 06, 2008, 01:12:16 PM »
Hi all,

I am designing a stand-alone dashboard system for an FSAE car using the SBC44UC board. The LCD display for the system is a Matrix Orbital LK204-25-USB, which just uses  a USB cable for power and data. Is it possible to power the display using the USB port on the SBC44UC?? I've got the cdc demos working, and can communicate with my PC, but when i hook the display up to the board, nothing happens, and I just can't get the USB to power the display, so I am wondering if it is possible, or if the USB can only transfer data.

Thanks,
Scott

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: SBC44UC w/ LCD Display
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »
Hello

With USB, only the host supplies power. The SBC44UC is a USB device, and not a USB host. It can not supply power! It can only accept power from the USB port.

scooter757

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 05:43:18 PM »
Thanks, thats what I was afraid of, I just wanted to make sure before I modified the display for external power.

modtro2

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 02:58:28 PM »
If you only need the USB port to supply power, you could maybe short out a track on the PCB. I have not checked this, and you will have to check the schematics to see if it is a good idea -  :?. If you do this, you can NOT connect it to a normal USB port any more, seeing that this will cause damage!